One of Germany's top Pinot Noir producers. After the flood in their region Ahr this year (2021), more than 70% of their winery was destroyed. You bet his wines are in very hot demand now as the flood also destroyed their wine library. Extremely limited now.
This Spätburgunder Alte Reben wine is made from old vines of their flagship Grand Cru - Herrenberg. Stodden.
If you are after a top (world-class) and small artisanal producer of Pinot Noir, you must try this. Only 6.5ha in total and he makes only about 45,000 bottles per year!
For those who are new, some info on Stodden for you below:
The Stodden family has been dedicated to producing wine since 1578. Blessed with some of the most exceptional Grand Cru sites of the Ahr valley such as Herrenberg, where ungrated Pinot Noir is grown, Alexander Stodden today makes world class Pinot Noir with the unmistakable typicity of the Ahr – full bodied, ripe and fruity yet with juiciness and structure.
‘Stodden is without doubt the best producer on the Ahr today.’ Joel Payne, author of Gault Millau German Wine Guide
Stodden has consistently performed in blind tasting competitions and also won numerous awards:
• Won 1st in the 2016 Decanter Global Pinot Noir tasting beating
competition from Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and the
U.S. The tasting was designed to find the best Pinot outside
• 5 stars Gault Millau German Wine Guide 2019
• 5 stars Eichelmann German Wine Guide 2016
• Collection of the Year in 2014 by Feinschmecker, Germany’s leading gourmet magazine
• 2011 – Came in Top 10 in the German Pinot vs Rest of the world Pinot including Burgundy